Monday, July 27, 2009

Irresponsible at last.

I 'grew up' watching Sidhdharth Basu's quiz programs.
His fluency (well, it was "too" good in pre-and-post-1991 years on our own Doordarshan before the TV in general turned into dur-darshan) was amazing and the quality of his quiz programs was superlative. He was one of the inspirations behind my own fluency in English; yes, as recently as yesterday I have received a pat-on-back for my English. Basu represented 'integrity', upright behavior, clean language, responsible handling of the youth and student generation...

But, today, after a pleasant escape from the TV for more than 36 hours (just 1.5 days, and I call it a big escape - this shows how much, in reality, TV hooked me to itself) I was watching 'Face The Nation' (FTN) program on CNN IBN. This channel has betrayed the whole nation by steadily degrading itself to a yellow-tabloid status by the quality of its journalism and the programs. FTN is a leading program on this news channel.

The topic of the day is "Sach ka Saamna" and some contraversy around it. As of now, I don't know anything about this program.. but over this FTN session I could understand that it is detrimental to Indian culture and values. Well, these days, every program even in regional channels has some such anti-culture content. That is why Dr-ji said that TV effuses a lot of negative energy. I am seeing how true Dr-ji is. I used to feel that movie is worse than TV.. but in fact, TV is terribly more venomous than cinema. This opinion I am going to hold till I watch my next contemporary movie; then I will review this opinion.

Now, what has pained me is Sidhdharth Basu is apparently the producer of this particular "Sach ka Saamna" program which is designed to reveal how the current generation is witnessing degradation and compromise of family values. People are asked to tell about their own lives and their answers are tested using polygraph tests. People failing polygraph tests fail to win. Polygraph is not reliable (legally speaking) tool to testify 'truth' or sach. So, firstly, what 'sach' ka 'saamna' are these people talking about, I fail to understand.

Seeing the arguments, I am understanding that Mr. Basu is on the wrong side.. and that is highly deplorable. He too has become irresponsible.

No comments: