Thursday, October 13, 2005

An unusual morning and a usual day

Weather in Bangalore has been extremely lovely today. Early in the morning at 6:30 I woke up and found it to be too 'cool'. So I did the best thing one is supposed to do in such a weather.. muted all alarms and dozed off again (I generally employ an alarm clock, and my mobile phone's alarm and reminder - and regularly defeat all of them).
I forced myself out of the bed again at 9am and discovered it was raining.. the familiar pitter-patter.. The usual din of vehicles - most depressing of them being that of auto-rickshaws - was conspicuously absent. Once in a few minutes, only biggies - buses and lorries - were moving, giving the roads a look and feel of Bangalore ten years ago.

As I opened the front door, I saw the following things:
1. There was no Sun in the higher hemisphere of eastern sky - he was lost behind the clouds.
2. The clouds wore a pleasant light-peach color and didn't expose their contours - actually the rain drops obscured them.
3. The coconut tree in front of our house was wet throughout and the small tender coconuts were in their freshest looks.
4. A tall tree outside the opposte house was dripping and shivering in the breeze; my bike parked under it felt warm as its deep orange flowers fell on it - the color of the flowers earns the tree a sobriquet, "Flames of the forest"
5. Potholes on the road became little pools with numerous ripples created by rain drops.
6. What looked like tiny pearls studded on large emeralds were drops of mist on waxy leaves of a betel creeper safe from rain under the verandah roof.
7. One stem of a rose plant stooped into the rain from under the roof. Like an adventurous lass it was waving with joy - the newly opening yellow bud relflecting all its mirth, constantly patted by little rain drops.
8. Draped in warm woolens and a rain-coat, the toddler son of my landlord was being coaxed into his school cab.

What a pity - I have to go to work and slog throughout the day to prepare a couple of documents!!

I rushed through the inescapable rituals of brushing teeth, taking bath and finishing ablutions, prepared and gulped a light breakfast and washed it down with a cup of hot coffee.

Two kilometers from my home on the way to work, I got stuck in traffic jam.. and reached office two hours later..
Whatever mood you wake up, Hosur Road is a great equaliser!!

To reassign myself the role as spectator of nature's wonderful performance, I opened the window curtain near my corner office (yes, I do have a corner office - the south-east corner of a large floor) and... got lost in work.
Now, as I try to look out of the window, it is dark and nothing is visible - it is already 11 pm in the night!!

No comments: