Friday, October 07, 2005

Mysore

It was called Krounchapattanam and Mahishmatipuram in the epics.

The City of Palaces exudes a great charm. Everybody knows that. I became a fan of the city when I saw it the first time in December, 1996. I had a dream of making the city my home. Of course meanwhile I developed a deep emotional liking with Vizag also..

The last two sundays, I went to Mysore in the early mornings. Starting at 3 am in Bangalore, I reached Mysore by sun-rise. As one nears Mysore, the scenery around (especially in this rainy season) is the first thing that grabs attention. As one enters the city, the smells, sounds and scenes catch up.

In my case, the beautiful world around slowly revealing itself out of the night into early morning light, a lark fluttering and chirping away the mist-filled sky's night-long slumber, green fields and meadows with rain washed trees, fragrance of fresh air.. all these started filling my eyes and occupying my thoughts.

While I was in Mysore, I was spell-bound by the city's charm so much that I felt a nostalgic longing when I had to return in the evening. Everytime I return from Mysore, I get this feeling.

My destination was close to Chamundi Hill - in fact right 'behind' it - on the Nanjangud/Ooty road.

The air was chill and my auto was lumbering through the tree-lined roads. Soon it passed an over-pass. The road under was hosting what looked like a sunday market. I was surprized to see the market place buzzing with so many people. They all had woken up so early in the morning and are so actively trading in that lovely weather. I would be usually sleeping in such a time and such a weather, and even if I were awake, I would be enjoying, lazing in the bed or couch.

Through the trees, I could see the majestic Chamundi Hill easing itself out of the mist. Distant lights on the hill were still on. The far end of the hill was not visible, because of mist. The hill looked as if it was re-appearing out of a divine heavenly overnight disappearacne. I kept watching at the Hill, seat of one of the 18 (Ashtadasa) Shakthi Peethams (seats of the divine Goddess).

I went up the hill, more than 3 years ago. From atop the hill, one can see Mysore in its full beauty. A beautiful city, indeed. One can see the royal palaces, the race-course, temples, rows of houses, all in their eternal glory from a height and distance. The whole city looks as if a little princess arranged her toys - of houses, lakes and palaces - for playing.

Like most other cities of India, Mysore is also getting spoiled. People take things for granted whatever they have been given, even precious gifts of God. They way greenery is getting lost in Bangalore is a clear sign of this. The clay in Bangalore is fertile, even if one doesn't take special care plants flower and trees grow to large sizes. But people don't make use of it. Nobody seems to be interested in greenery. What more than a cluttered concrete house can a 30X40 plot accommodate? Mysore is getting spoiled in the lines of Bangalore. The city's skyline is one of the first casualties.

More on greenery, in another post.

No comments: