Friday, November 18, 2005

Unfair

Last ten days have been very dull.. My team and I have done some backend work for a couple of demos by our company for a large telecom conference in Dallas.

We have in fact put in a lot of work. I patted myself on my back for coordinating a reluctant team do a lot of work in the last minute. I was actually satisfied with my "work". But the end result was not so good.. lack of coordination from people who went to show the demos - all of us here felt we should have gone there, instead.

Still, the work was recognized, and we got a "pat on the back". When I got a mail to inform this, I thought it was praise and felt happy. But today I came to know that in this company, "pat on the back" is a cash prize of 2K!!

It really disappointed me. I was expecting a word of appreciation (and later I would leverage it to reap better career gains), but people gave 2-grand bucks and washed their hands.. This is "unfair".

One more heroic act: I recommended release of my demotivated team members into other projects. When I tried to reason with them and found them "not reasonable", I recommended the inevitable. I now need to hunt for 5-15 new members for my team.

No comments: